Extension or Amendment Filings

Extension: Extension filing facilitates to have additional time to file your tax return; you can file your return on or before October 15 of the following calendar year.

Amendment: High tax liability on a US expat tax return is sometimes the result of an improperly prepared or incomplete return. This is common for expats who either filed their own return or consulted a US based tax expert who had limited information about international tax rules and regulations.  Whatever the situation, if you have a high US tax liability on your US expat tax return, you may be able to file an amendment return to add deductions or other details which may have been missed the first time around.

After an original tax return has been filed, it can only be changed by filing an amendment return on Form 1040X.  An amendment return can be used to correct misinformation on Form 1040, 1040EZ, or 1040A.  The following types of changes can be made by filing an amendment return:
1.Report additional income
2.Claim credits or deductions which weren’t originally claimed
3.Correcting the mistake of having taken credits for which the taxpayer was not eligible
4.Change filing status
5.Increase or decrease number of dependents